Monday, April 27, 2009

Dating Violence


With in this past semester Chris Brown and Rihanna have been all over the news and tabloids. The first media outburst was when the reports of Chris Brown assaulting Rihanna broke out around the time of the Grammy’s. Their break up and the charges against Chris Brown were all over the media. Shortly after this, reports stated that Rihanna had gone back to Chris Brown. Rihanna’s decision to go back to Chis caused many positive and negative effects.

In class we discussed how Revlon hired a huge polling company to see if Rihanna was hurting Cover Girl, their competitor. We also discussed how role models are sometimes held to higher standards and are made an example for other people, even during tough situations. Additionally, we discussed our views on celebrity sponsorships and more directly Cover Girl sponsoring Rihanna. Although Rihanna’s decision may be viewed negatively in this situation, positive things did come from her decision.


On March 13, 2009, Tyra Banks was a guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show. Oprah thought that since dating violence had been brought to the attention of the nation, she would take the opportunity to discuss and educate others about it. Tyra and Oprah discussed dating violence experiences of other guests on the show as well as Chris Brown assaulting Rihanna. The main message of the show was that abuse often a repeated cycle and most times the victim goes back to the abuser. Tyra referred to episodes of her show where Chris Brown and Rihanna shared times in their life where they each saw abuse growing up. Tyra also shared how her ex-boyfriend emotionally abused her and how hard it was for her to leave him for good. Another important message was that abuse is all around us, not just in Hollywood. I think that Oprah and Tyra did a great job of showing this by having non-celebrities share their experiences as well as Tyra sharing her own.

The points that I would like to make are as follows. Throughout the show, Tyra made it a point to say that we should not judge Rihanna because after all she is just a human being. I feel that people were and still are judging her. I believe that Rihanna is considered a role model for many people and because of that she is got criticized more than the average female would have. I do however believe that Rihanna should not have gotten back with Chris after such a short period. I honestly do not think that Chris Brown could have possibly learned from his mistakes that quickly. I think that the couple should have taken more time to work through their problems before getting back together.

The situation between Chris Brown and Rihanna is an example of how hard it is to let go of an abuser and how abuse is often a repeated cycle. Although I say now that I would not have gone back to Chris Brown if I was Rihanna, I have not been in her shoes and do not know what I would have done if I was really in her situation.

The questions that I pose to the class are these: What are your thoughts on Rihanna’s decision? Would you think any more or less of her is she had waited a longer period before getting back with Chris Brown? Do you think that because Rihanna is considered a role model she should be criticized so harshly?
References:
Article From The Oprah Winfrey Show A Special Report: Tyra Banks and Dating Violence
Photos taken from Oprah.com: AP/Matt Sayles


2 comments:

letters-between-jk said...

I definitely believe that dating violence and abuse in general is not addressed enough in our culture. Specifically emotional and mental abuse, I believe that people in our society have a difficulty identifying these forms of abuse. However, the problem extends beyond a lack of exposure in out culture. I know that personally, I hadn't recognized how damaging my mother's words were to my self esteem until I sought counseling in college. In a traditional Taiwanese household, the way I was raised and the words said to me would have been commonplace in Taiwan. However, in America, it's "abuse" and I'm a "victim" to emotional abuse. I know that I will actively work against perpetuating the cycle with my own children, but I do not blame or hate my mother for what she's done. Yes, her not knowing better does not justify what she's done, but her ignorance, in my opinion, makes it easier for me to cope and forgive.

While the public education system does attempt to integrate the counselors and emphasize the need for respecting one another in the classroom, a school can only extend it's authority so far. If a victim does not seek help, what can outsiders do? If I had never sought help, I wouldn't have known better either. Everyone always hears the emotional and mental abuse stories and think, "No, that couldn't be me. That wouldn't happen to me," but I definitely believe that people underestimate the damage that these forms of abuse cause. While the wounds are not obvious or blatant on one's body, the damage is still there and probably takes longer to truly heal.

adenike28 said...

I personally feel that Rihanna was completely justified in going back to Chris Brown, because as Tyra stated, she is only human and she does have emotions. I understand quite well the role Rihanna plays in the lives of women of different ages around the world and how she has to set a good example for them, but the truth remains the same, she has a personal life of her own and she has obligations and decisions that she has to make outside of her work.

Notwithstanding the fact that Rihanna may possibly be in an abusive relationship with the same abusive cycle, the decision is ultimately her own on dating Chris or not. I sometimes feel that too much pressure is placed on celebrities and that we forget the fact that they are just like us and face similar everyday issues we face. The only difference is that they well known, rich, and provide some sort of entertainment.

It probably would have been a good decision for Rihanna to have waited and gave herself some time before hooking back up with Chris, but at the end of the day, only God knows the truth behind the fight that broke out between them.