Friday, November 14, 2008

Sex Change Hospital

There is a new show on the WE network called Sex Change Hospital. I came across this show when I was watch Amazing Wedding Cakes and a commercial popped up for this show. I became curious about the show (obviously I knew what it was about), and I went on the website to gain more information about the show. I decided that since I have not seen the show, I should read the blogs that the people in each show wrote. A lot of the blogs are meant to help those who are going to have a sex change operation cope and adjust to their new life. For instance, one person was a male and became a female. While a man, she was married to a woman and had a son. Her one blog described how her son is handling the transition. She hopes that this can help those people who have children and want a sex change.

Then I read some of the comments. On her first blog (and on others' first blogs) a person commented that she is "the worst kind of person out there." After deciphering the horrible grammar, I came to the conclusion that this person is a closed-minded person who does not accept people who are "different." I think that since this show is on the air, it may give transgenders the ability to be heard and accepted. The show is intended to show others that people who have a sex change operation are "interesting, normal, productive people who happen to be transgender. Their stories are real, and it really comes forward. They're just looking for acceptance and continuity between their spirits and their bodies." (1)

Hopefully, people can see that others struggle with their gender identities and that it does cause stress on their lives. Although Gender Identity Disorder is a classification in the DSM-IV, those who undergo surgery (and those who do not) feel as though it is not a psychological condition, rather it is written into their DNA. Whichever view people may have- psychological disorder or not- they should be accepting of transgenders. After all, they are people just like you and me.

Reference:
(1) http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tvguide/387306_tvgif11.html

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Thank you for looking into this topic. This country is very closed minded toward transgendered people and it is a very sad thing. I am glad that there is a TV show that helps cope with these feelings of hate and show the world that people that don't feel that they belong in this world as their biological sex do exist.

Brenda

CaseyCaruso said...

I believe having a sex change operation is weird. I have nothing against homosexuals, but to completely alter your body and the way it functions is wrong. The bodies people are born into should be taken advantage of, and not taken for granted. It is sad that these people feel the need to drastically change what nature had created, and this show will do a good job portraying this scary situation.

Kim B said...

I personally feel that this show is good in that it can help transgendered people in their struggle to be accepted in society. Although I do not totally understand why or what the motive is for people to want or desire to have a sex change, I believe that it is their right to alter their body in any way needed if that is what will bring them happiness and peace.

jackiel said...

I think this television show will be eye-opening to many people in our country. Although a conclusion to the fact of whether or not sex change is a want or a need, or whether or not gender identity disorder is an illness or something within a person's genes or DNA, I think it is important to reveal the feelings and lives of these people. In society, it's normal to think something is weird or be against something if you are not aware or have no information on the issue. With this show, hopefully people will become more aware of transgendered people's lives and be more open or accepting about it.

pellegr6 said...

I think most of us would agree that it is out of the ordinary and shocking when someone gets a sex change. Even though it is becoming increasingly common, it is still strange, or at least I think so. I don't personally know anyone who went through this procedure. The only cases I know of are based on what I see on TV--which is the media's portrayal of sex changes. I think it'd be interesting to meet and speak with someone who has undergone this procedure. I would never judge any of them; I'd just like to know what he or she was thinking.